“We want to break down the barriers to PhD study for those who otherwise wouldn’t benefit from our programme”
We know that there can be barriers to PhD study and we want to overcome them
We are committed to providing bespoke support so that all of our students achieve their potential.
Students can study part time if full time study is difficult or impossible due to caring responsibilities, or due to health conditions or disability.
We will provide bespoke support through our Disability and Dyslexia Support Service for those with specific educational needs.
We will pay interview expenses for those who meet Widening Participation criteria.
All of our students receive a tax-free stipend at the Wellcome rate. There are no extra costs for training, travel or research. These costs are all covered by a generous research and training grant.
If you want to discuss any barriers to study, please get in touch with us. We are keen to talk to you! Drop us an email at email@example.com.
Our Widening Participation Criteria
We will ensure that at least one out of our seven annual scholarships is awarded to a UK candidate who meets one or more of our Widening Participation Criteria.
We particularly want to encourage applications from UK students who:
- Were looked after under local authority care
- Are disabled
- Have caring responsibilities for an ill or disabled family member
- Lived in an area of relative deprivation (POLAR quintile 1 or 2) while studying A levels (or equivalent)
- Were in receipt of a maintenance grant from Student Finance as an undergraduate student
- Are from a Black or Minority Ethnic Group background
If you are a UK student, and meet any of the criteria above, then please note this in your application and submit this additional form.